Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving
Fuel and Energy Consumption
Rosneft is a major consumer of fuel and energy resources in the Russian Federation, accounting for more than 4% of the country’s energy mix.
In 2017, the Company’s fuel and energy resourcesAssets consolidated under Rosneft’s 2017 Energy Saving Program. consumption totalled 25,322 thousand tonnes of coal equivalent (tce).
|Segment||Fuel and Energy Consumption||In thsd tce||Share, %|
|electricity, thsd kWh||heat, thsd Gcal||fuel, thsd tonnes|
|Oil and gas production||36,937,553||2,834||1,652||15,471||61.1|
|Petrochemicals and gas processing||1,787,791||6,062||249||1,868||7.4|
|Gas production and distribution||53,074||59||–||27||0.1|
|Marketing and distribution||321,402||68||–||127||0.5|
The Energy Saving Program
In 2017, the Company launched its 2017–2021 Energy Saving Program approved by the Board of Directors in December 2016; it is aimed at more efficient use of electricity and heat, as well as boiler and furnace fuel across key business lines.
|Segment||Savings in 2017||In thsd tce||Share, %|
|electricity, thsd kWh||heat, thsd Gcal||fuel, tce|
|Oil and gas production||1,707,600||18||22,793||613||51.2%|
|Petrochemicals and gas processing||17,156||144||11,273||39||3.2%|
|Gas production and distribution||100||5.5||141||1.0||0.08%|
|Marketing and distribution||17,434||4||753||7.4||0.6%|
Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving Policy
In accordance with the Company’s Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving Policy and the Company’s Standard, “Energy Management System. Requirements and Use Guidance,” the following steps were taken in 2017:
- The Company’s Commission for Energy Efficiency approved the 2018–2022 Roadmap for Enhancing Energy Efficiency and Implementing and Developing the Energy Management System at Rosneft
- The acquired Bashneft assets were incorporated in Rosneft’s consolidated 2018–2022 Energy Saving Program, comprising three oil production enterprises, four oil refining, gas processing, and petrochemical enterprises, and one marketing and distribution enterprise
- Amendments were made to the job descriptions of Group Subsidiaries personnel having direct or indirect influence on energy efficiency, totaling 5,659 employees – 4,013 of which are shop floor personnel
- Competence requirements were developed for technical personnel in oil production, oil refining, marketing, and distribution, along with competence assessment methods based on tests containing close to 2.5 thousand questions
- The Company’s Reference Guide, “Best Available Technologies, Technical Solutions, and Equipment for Enhancing Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving in Hydrocarbon Processing” was initiated, and a similar Reference Guide for upstream operations was adopted in 2016
- The ISO 50001 international standard was incorporated into the Energy Management System, and certification of Bashneft’s energy-intensive facilities has been included in the plan for 2018–2019.